Turkish, Libyan PMs discuss abducted Turks over phone

Two premiers speak about situation of 3 Turkish workers abducted in southwestern Libya

Turkish, Libyan PMs discuss abducted Turks over phone

World Bulletin / News Desk

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim and his Libyan counterpart Fayez al-Sarraj talked over the phone late Saturday to discuss the situation of three Turkish nationals abducted Friday in southwestern Libya.

According to a statement from Turkish Prime Ministry's Press Office, Yildirim told Al-Sarraj that Turkey expects the three Turkish nationals to be found “as soon as possible”.

Al-Sarraj said Libya would use every means available to help rescue the Turkish workers.

On Friday, an armed group seized three Turkish nationals and one German citizen who had been working for ENKA in Ubari region, a Turkish engineering and construction firm.

The reason behind the abduction “is not thought to be an act or terrorism”, said Omar Kuki, official from Ubari municipality earlier on Saturday, adding the Libyan security forces had launched an operation to find the missing workers.

Libya has been dogged by violence since 2011, when a bloody uprising led to the overthrow and death of longstanding President Muammar Gaddafi after more than four decades in power.

The ensuing power vacuum led to the emergence of several rival seats of government and a plethora of heavily-armed militia groups.

According to a report issued Wednesday by the UN mission in Libya, at least 23 civilians were killed in various clashes throughout the North African country -- including women and children -- in October alone.

Last Mod: 05 Kasım 2017, 10:19
Add Comment