TURKISH PRESS REVIEW on NOV. 14

Turkish dailies on Friday covered the remarks of Turkish ruling AK Party spokesperson about new tools in Kurdish settlement process and the announcement of the opening date for Istanbul's third Bosporus bridge.

TURKISH PRESS REVIEW on NOV. 14

Anadolu Agency does not verify these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.

Most Turkish dailies reported Friday on repercussions on deputy chairman and spokesman of the ruling Justice and Development Party Besir Atalay’s remarks hinting at “new instruments” in Kurdish peace process, although he did not specify what these instruments are.

The solution process is an effort launched early last year by the Turkish government to secure an end to the decades-long conflict with the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, which has claimed the lives of more than 40,000 people.

“Road is rough, but ground is solid,” said HABERTURK daily. The newspaper quoted Atalay as saying: “The channels for dialogue that are blocked need to be opened immediately and the peace process would continue progressing more strongly from now on.”

The government-led Solution Process Council and a parliamentary group including pro-Kurdish People’s Democratic Party officials held a meeting about the stalled peace process on Nov. 11 in an effort to mend talks on solving the longstanding Kurdish issue.

The so-called Solution Process Council was established in October by Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu's cabinet in order to guide the efforts towards seeing the Kurdish issue through to a final agreement as soon as possible.

Pro-Kurdish protests that broke out in Turkey in early October caused the solution process talks to break down. The demonstrations were held to show solidarity with Syria’s Kurdish-populated town of Kobani, which has been besieged by militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

SABAH quotes Atalay on its front page as saying, “The peace process will progress ahead in stronger and more transparent fashion from now on. Determination and sincerity are very important.”

In other news, Turkish dailies also covered the announcement of Istanbul’s third Bosporus Bridge by Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications Minister Lutfi Elvan. He said the bridge would be opened on Oct. 29, 2015.

SABAH quoted Elvan as saying: “We aim to solve the traffic problem in Istanbul completely. We will unveil new major projects for Istanbul in the upcoming days.”

Istanbul’s third bridge, also known as the Yavuz Sultan Selim Bridge -- which is named after early 16th century Ottoman sultan Selim I, whose rule marked the expansion of the burgeoning world power in the Middle East -- is projected to be the widest bridge in the world, measuring 60 meters in width and including eight lanes.

The bridge, which will allow road vehicles and trains to cross the Bosphorus Strait from the Beykoz district in Asia to the Sariyer district in Europe, is expected to ease congestion in the city of 17 million people. 

Last Mod: 14 Kasım 2014, 11:27
Add Comment