World condemns deadly terror attack on Turkish wedding

Denunciations pour in from around the globe of attack in southeast which took 50 lives

World condemns deadly terror attack on Turkish wedding

Leaders from around the world condemned the terrorist attack on a wedding ceremony in Gaziantep, southeastern Turkey late Saturday that left 50 victims dead.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.

Turkey’s neighbor Greece denounced the attack via Twitter.

“We condemn the brutal attack on the Gaziantep wedding and stand with the Turkish people, united versus terror. Our condolences to the families of the victims,” said Greece’s Foreign Ministry on its official account.

U.S. Ambassador in Ankara John Bass condemned the “barbaric attack” in a Twitter post, saying: "We stand by our ally Turkey and pledge to continue to work closely together to defeat the common threat of terrorism."

Also referring to other recent attacks in Turkey’s east and southeast, British Ambassador to Turkey Richard Moore said on his Twitter account: "Wholly condemn last night's attack in #Gaziantep and senseless PKK attacks this week. UK stands with Turkey against terrorism."

French President Francois Hollande said in a statement that he “strongly condemns the despicable terrorist attack in which at least 50 people were killed last night and 100 injured in Gaziantep, Turkey during a wedding.”

“France extends to the authorities and people of Turkey its condolences and sympathy ... It stands with all who fight against the scourge of terrorism,” he added.​

Pope Francis also offered prayers for the attack’s victims, according to official Vatican Radio.

“Let us pray for the victims and the injured and for the gift of peace for all,” the pope said on Sunday from St. Peter’s Square.

Speaking to Anadolu Agency Sunday, Sweden's Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom “vehemently condemned” the attack.

“We have all kinds of cooperation for the common fight against terrorism with Turkey,” she added.

 

-Outrage at attack, support for Turkey

 

World Bulletin / News Desk

In a statement, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) President Mustafa Akinci condemned the attack and expressed his country's support and solidarity.

“Terrorist violence has manifested itself this time in the atmosphere of a wedding in Gaziantep. I condemn this terrorist attack.”

Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev also sent a letter of condolences to his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan and expressed his sorrow at the attack.

“We are extremely outraged by this horrible tragedy and other terror acts treacherously committed in your country, and consider it important and necessary to carry out a joint, consistent, and resolute struggle against terrorism and all its manifestations,” he said.

Qatar’s Foreign Ministry also expressed condemnation of the attack, underlining Qatari support for Turkey’s efforts to maintain its stability and security.

Pakistan strongly condemned the terrorist attack and reaffirmed its solidarity with the Turkish government and its people.

"The government and people of Pakistan are deeply anguished and saddened by the news of the latest terrorist attack in Turkey, targeting a wedding ceremony in the southeastern province of Gaziantep," said the Pakistani Foreign Ministry in a statement Sunday.

Bahrain and Jordan also condemned the attack.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the attack in a statement Sunday. “Those who cannot overcome Turkey and try to provoke people by exploiting ethnic and sectarian sensitivities will not prevail,” he said.

"I want to underline one more time, for our country and nation, that there is no difference between FETO, the perpetrator of the July 15 armed coup attempt and the 240 citizens we lost that night, the PKK, the killer of 70 of our security forces – soldiers, police, and village guards – in just the last month, and Daesh, the possible perpetrator of the Gaziantep attack," he added.

Last Mod: 21 Ağustos 2016, 15:17
Add Comment