World Bulletin/News Desk
An Italian journalist, who has been freed after 14 months of captivity in Syria, said Tuesday that he was kidnapped by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), in his statement to the Turkish police forces.
Federico Motka was greeted by Turkish army officials at the border and underwent a medical check-up at a local hospital. He was then brought to a local police department for his testimony.
Motka had been kidnapped on March 12 last year in Atmeh town in Syria's northern city of Idlib, security sources told Anadolu Agency.
In his statement, the 31 year-old journalist, said he saw the flag of the group, who tortured and relocated him six times.
He will be sent back to Italy shortly after official procedures are completed, the police said.
ISIL is a hard-liner militant group fighting in the northern and eastern regions of the war-torn country in a bid to establish their own state.
Back in mid-April, four French journalists, following 10 months of captivity in Syria, were released and also brought to Turkey before returning to their home country.
As the Syrian conflict enters its fourth year, the country has become a deadly place for journalists who are regularly kidnapped and murdered, human rights groups say.Last Mod: 27 Mayıs 2014, 12:36