Mosque attack killed 100, wounded 135 in Nigeria's Kano

The mosque is adjacent to the palace of the emir of Kano, the second highest Islamic authority in the country, although the emir himself, former central bank governor Lamido Sanusi, was not present at the time.

Mosque attack killed 100, wounded 135 in Nigeria's Kano

World Bulletin/News Desk

A total of 100 people were killed in Friday's coordinated attack on the central mosque of north Nigeria's biggest city of Kano and 135 people were wounded, the governor of Kano state said on Saturday.

Rabiu Musa Kwankaso was speaking to reporters after visiting one of the hospitals treating the victims. Officials had said on Friday that 81 people had been killed in the attack.

Gunmen set off three bombs and opened fire on worshippers at the main mosque in Kano in an attack that bore the hallmarks of Boko Haram militants, although the attack has not yet been claimed.

The targeted mosque is next to the palace of the emir of Kano, who is the second highest Islamic authority in Africa's most populous country and a vocal critic of Boko Haram.

In a bloody campaign of nearly six years the group has also targeted churches, schools, police stations, military bases and government buildings.

After Friday's attack President Goodluck Jonathan said the perpetrators would be tracked down.

The old mosque and palace date back centuries to when Kano was one of several Islamic empires thriving off trade in gold, ivory and spices from caravan routes connecting Africa's interior with its Mediterranean coast.

The insurgency has forced more than one million people to flee during its campaign focused on Nigeria's northeast, the Red Cross told reporters on Friday, an increase on a September U.N. refugee agency estimate of 700,000.

Kano's emir Sanusi, angered by atrocities such as the kidnapping of 200 schoolgirls from the village of Chibok in April, has been increasingly vocal.

He was quoted in the local press as calling on Nigerians this month to defend themselves against Boko Haram. During a broadcast recitation of the Koran he was reported to have said:

"These people, when they attack towns, they kill boys and enslave girls. People must stand resolute ... They should acquire what they can to defend themselves. People must not wait for soldiers to protect them."

Persistent insecurity is dogging President Goodluck Jonathan's campaign for re-election to a second term in February 2015.

 

Last Mod: 30 Kasım 2014, 00:18
Add Comment